Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Fall Fern card with Joseph's Coat

Hello! I am back today to share on behalf of Just for Fun Rubber Stamps!  I really love this card and I hope you will too!

 I purchased this Framed Fern stamp myself before I was on the design team.  I love ferns AND also this negative/positive style of stamp.  Just for Fun carries a bunch of images in this style. This stamp was my "go-to" masculine card image this summer.



I used a technique that I really love - the Joseph's Coat technique.  I started with watercolor paper that I colored with watercolor markers in fall colors.  I simply scribbled fall colors all over the paper and blended with water.  

(Here is my secret:  I usually use a background that I intended to use another way, but it didn't turn out as pretty as I wanted.  The following step makes these not-so-nice backgrounds look beautiful!)



Once the background was totally dry, I heat embossed the Framed Fern image with clear embossing powder.  I then used my Distress Black Soot inkpad directly on the paper to completely cover the background.  You can use just about any black ink, but when I use watercolor paper, I like to use the Distress ink to get it good and saturated with black.  Then I use a paper towel (slightly dampened, if needed) to wipe off the excess ink and then reveal the beautiful watercolor-y image!


If you like this look, you may be interested in this card I made using the same technique.  This one shows my background before stamping, too.

Supplies: Just for Fun Rubber Stamps Framed Fern, Versamark Ink, Recollections Clear Detail Embossing Powder, Tombow markers, watercolor paper, K&Co Tim Coffey MatStack, burlap from the floral section, Recollections 120# Ivory Cardstock

Thank you so much for stopping by today!  I hope you will come back to visit again soon!

9 comments:

Wendy Bellino said...

Heidi! This turned out so beautiful! I've tried this technique before and it's like magic. Lovely fall card!

*Vicki* said...

Wow this really looks amazing!! I haven't done this technique in years!! Love the dark background and your addition of the burlap give it an Autumnal feel!! HUGS :)

lostinpaper said...

What an amazing result, your fern totally shines!

Beth Norman said...

Wowza, wowza, wowza. What a beautiful card. I do so love the Joseph's Coat technique. Your background paper and burlap add the perfect touch.

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous, that technique is just perfect for this stamp, Love it!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This fern is fabulous. THe Joseph's coat technique is cool. I haven't thought about it in a long time.

BożenA said...

Wow, wow, wow !! Amazing card. I love the technique, because it so perfectly brings out the details. This stamp is wonderful.

Marina said...

Great technique - the effect is stunning.

Chris Dring said...

What a fabulous card! Love that fern stamp and the technique you used with it!